Re: Logging procedure/mechanism questions

> > And then my last question... What's the proper way to handle log rotation?
> > According to the Debian Policy manual (section 4.8), I should use logrotate.
> > This package does not exist on my system, tho...
>
> I can only address this question.
>
> logrotate is fairly new, in potato only.  We used savelog in cron
> files in slink.
>
> Yes, you should use logrotate. See other packages for examples.
> For example, my powstatd package uses logrotate if it's
> installed, and still uses savelog if logrotate is not installed
> (makes it easier for me to make slink builds of the package).

I just installed that package (powstatd) to look at it's logrotate setup,
but it didn't install anything in /etc/logrotate.d as the Debian Policy
manual describes.

Am I missing something?

I guess my question is:  Are the 'scripts' in /etc/logrotate.d that the
Policy Manual refers to, full-fledged shell scripts, or simply snippets of
a logrotate configuration?

If I create a file, /etc/logrotate.d/portslave, with the following contents:

--- Cut Here ---
/var/log/portslave.log {
        rotate 5
        weekly
        compress
}
--- Cut Here ---

will that be sufficient?  And what should the permissions be on
/etc/logrotate.d/portslave?  700?

And another question.... just out of curiosity... Why does logrotate depend
on mailx?  What's special about mailx that any other MUA won't provide?

Thanks!

--
Useless fact #9: Texas has the lowest number of electoral votes per
capita in the U.S. with one electoral vote for every 605,803 people.