Re: Phone call to become debian maintainer

On Wed, Oct 13, 1999 at 06:44:49PM -0700, Seth R Arnold wrote:
> The reason why doing it over the phone is a good idea is that
> people have a harder time lying over the phone -- in person is
> the most difficult time to lie. The whole point of it isn't to
> ensure competancy, well, maybe it is, but also to prevent those who
> would rather the free software movement do poorly from joining the
> organization, where they might be able to do much more damage.

Um.. we *can't* do anything about people who actively want to
cause problems.  [But hopefully we can hold them accountable
if they're outrageous.]

What the phone interview deals with is people who just plain haven't
thought through the issues yet.  Which, not surprisingly, is a lot
of people (perhaps most).

I think this is an important distinction to understand.

--
Raul