Phone call to become debian maintainer

The web page on becoming a debian maintainer states that my identity has to
be verified by mail, and that i will get a phone call after hours.

What time zone is the after hours call made ?

Is it really necessary for someone to have to pay for an expensive long
distance phone call to verify my identity.

Maybe im missing the point, but i would have thought that any verification
that could be done via voice could be done via the net. Unless you need to
identify an individuals voice or something?

I dont mean this to sound like im winging, i want to become part of the
team, and will do whats required, im just trying to understand the reasoning
behind it, and to clarify the process.

Thanks

Glenn McGrath
Glenn.McGrath@jcu.edu.au