Re: Package-relation-with-self, debhelper

On Thu, 25 Feb, 1999, Ben Collins wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 1999 at 09:25:12PM -0800, Aaron Van Couwenberghe wrote:
> > Hello all
> >
> > 	this is the last issue holding up my libggi debs. Upon a complete
> > build, the only scary thing lintian barfs is this:
> >
> > W: libggi2: package-relation-with-self depends: libggi2
> >
> > Will this cause any problems? If so, why does debhelper generate
> > dependencies in such a way that this occurs?
>
> It's not really a problem, but it is overhead in the dependency system
> :)
>
> More than likely you have a binary in this package that uses the
> library (also in this package). If so, you might want to split the
> binaries (and other files that aren't the .so) into a runtime package.

Important note:

4.3. Shared libraries
---------------------

     If your package has some run-time support programs which use the
     shared library you must _not_ put them in the shared library package.
     If you do that then you won't be able to install several versions of
     the shared library without getting filename clashes. Instead, either
     create a third package for the runtime binaries (this package might
     typically be named `<libraryname>-runtime'--note the absence of the
     <soname> in the package name) or if the development package is small
     include them in there.

--
GNU does not eliminate all the world's problems, only some of them.
                                                -- The GNU Manifesto