Re: Package-relation-with-self, debhelper

On Thu, Feb 25, 1999 at 01:21:13PM -0500, Wayne Cuddy wrote:
> > More than likely you have a binary in this package that uses the
> > library (also in this package). If so, you might want to split the
> > binaries (and other files that aren't the .so) into a runtime package.
>
> I am not sure I understand this.  If there are binaries in the package that
> require the library in order for the runtime to be complete does it make sense
> to have two packages or am I missing something?

That is solved with dependencies between the packages. The main reason for
not putting binaries into a library package is so that future versions of
the library (libggi3 for example) can be installed at the same time,
making it easier for packages that depend on it to upgrade. Otherwise both
libggi2 and libggi3 will have binaries with the same names and paths
overlapping and will have to conflict or do some weird dependency
arrangement.

Check svgalib and a few others for good examples.

OpenLDAP Core - bcollins@openldap.org                 bcollins@debian.org
UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems         The Choice of the GNU Generation