Re: PGP signing packages

On Sat, 6 Feb 1999, Julian Gilbey wrote:

> > .dsc and .changes file.  Well it tried anyway.  My problem is that I am
> > using pgp5 and but dpkg-buildpackage seems to want to use pgp2 or gpg for
>
> Simple answer: don't.  Debian currently works with PGP 2.6.x and is
> moving over to GNU PG.  Please install the pgp package, copy the

I think it's a little late to reply to this, but I'm using PGP 5.0 with no
problem and I don't think it hurts to post now anyway. In Debian developer's
reference manual, you can read:

     Our standard is to use `pgp' version 2.x. You can use `pgp' version 5,
     if and only if you make an RSA key. Note that we are also working with
     the `ppg' team so that we can have a free alternative to PGP; however,
     this may take a little bit of time.

So, use of version 5.0 is not encouraged, but is allowed. For use with
dpkg-buildpackage, I wrote this script:

#!/bin/bash
pgps -u fer@debian.org +clearsig=on -fat

I called it 'pgp' (since there is no such command in PGP 5.0, but pgps,
pgpk, etc) and put it in a directory in my path.

Regards,

Fernando Sánchez