Re: Questions about making package more conformant to Debian Policy...

> I am the maintainer of the powertweak package.  I have the package in a
> decent enough shape that I want to make the package more conformant to the
> Debian Policy manual.  Powertweak (http://linux.powertweak.com/) is a
> software that tweaks various pieces of hardware for optimum / increased
> performance.
>
> Here are my questions:
>
> * The upsteream author is placing the powertweak binary under /sbin.
> Should I change this to /usr/sbin?  Isn't /sbin the place for system
> binaries?

Not critical for fixing a broken system => in /usr/sbin.  Section 3.10
of the FHS contains:

   /sbin typically contains binaries essential for booting the system
   in addition to the binaries in /bin.  Anything executed after /usr
   is known to be mounted (when there are no problems) should be
   placed into /usr/sbin.

> * Powertweak is not a daemon.  It can be run either at boot time or by
> root.  Currently I have a rc script under /etc/init.d to run powertweak on
> start-up.  The policy manual says in section 3.3.4:
>
> "There is another directory, /etc/rc.boot, which contains scripts which are
> run once per machine boot. This facility is provided for initialization of
> hardware devices, cleaning up of leftover files, and so forth."
>
> Does this mean that I should place my script under /etc/rc.boot instead of
> /etc/init.d?

In the soon-to-be-released debian-policy 3.1.0.0, it explains that:
  - the script itself lives in /etc/init.d
  - symlinks should be made
     from /etc/rcS.d/S??script -> /etc/init.d/script
     and from /etc/rc[06].d/K??script -> /etc/init.d/script
    or whatever is appropriate, *using the update-rc.d script* in the
    postinst/postrm maintainer scripts
  - /etc/rc.boot is obsolete

   Julian

  Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk