Re: how best to maintain a patch

On Fri, Jul 30, 1999 at 08:18:14PM +0000, David Coe wrote:

> We have a patch to ispell, submitted to one of the
> open bugs, which upstream maintainer has decided
> isn't important enough to incorporate into the
> upstream versions -- but is (apparently) needed
> for non-i386 (Alpha, at least) compatibility in
> Debian.

Why not?  If you explain why it's needed (that it's more than just a
correctness nit) I can't see any reason why they wouldn't.  Particularly
if it's minor.

> I think I like the separate patch file better,
> though, because it'll be easier to keep this
> patch separate from other patches made for
> other purposes, when migrating to newer releases
> of upstream source.

> Is that wrong?  If not, do we have a standard
> or common way of naming such patch files?

There is a system for doing this (used in egcs and XFree86) which was
written Adam Heath (IIRC) but it's not been released properly for
general use yet due to lack of documentation.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/