Re: how best to maintain a patch

On Fri, 30 Jul 1999, David Coe wrote:

> So I think I'll create a source patch file
> and add a rule to debian/rules to apply it
> for each build.  The alternative, of course,
> would be to just apply the patch once to
> the working source tree, and let the .deb
> system handle it.
>
> I think I like the separate patch file better,
> though, because it'll be easier to keep this
> patch separate from other patches made for
> other purposes, when migrating to newer releases
> of upstream source.

Having made the mistake of applying the patches to the source tree and
then having to jump through major hoops everytime a new upstream version
came out, I think that you are on the right track.  I have a directory in
the root of my package directory named non_upstream which I use for things
that the upstream people will not incorporate into their source and are
required to comply with the FHS, etc.  But I normally just copy the new
versions into place during the build.  If you apply them as patches,
you'll need to remember to revert them during your "make clean" phase.

It might be sort of nice to do it the way you propose, but I'd like to
hear some other thoughts on the matter.

tony