library dependency problem

I have a problem with the slang library.  The current version is
slang1_1.2.2 I began to package the new version 1.3.8.  I installed it
on my own system to test and everything went fine.  However when I
upgraded to the latest potato anything depending on slang1 broke
because they all had depends like:

slang1 (<< 1.3), slang1 (>> 1.2.2-0)

When I took over the slang1 package I failed to notice the
shlibs that defined the above.  The problem is that version 1.3.x is
compatible with 1.2.  This leaves me with a number of options:

1.  Just create a new package slang1.3_1.3.8  The problem with this is
that users will have slang1 and slang1.3 installed on their system.
And when 1.4 comes along (which should also be compatible) I will have
to make a slang1.4_1.4 package, and so on.  By 1.8 users will have 6
slang packages, that could be all compatible.

2.  Continue to call it slang1 and upload the new version.  It will
conflict with the old one, replace it and then break the dependencies
of everything that depends on slang. (note: only breaks the
dependencies, the packages would otherwise run fine)  Thereby forcing
everyone else to upgrade their (slang dependent) packages.

3.  Create some sort of dummy package that the new package depends on
and it provides 1.2.9 or something like that.  (seems like a bad idea
in general)

4. ?

Is there something I'm missing, is there a way out of this mess?

--
Jim Mintha                                       Email: jim@ic.uva.nl
System Administrator                              Work: +31 20 525-4919