Maintainer override in bug tracking system

Under "Adopting a Package" the debian developers' reference manual
says (among other things):

   If you take over an old package, you probably want to be
   listed as the package's official maintainer in the bug
   system. This will happen automatically once you upload a
   new version with an updated Maintainer: field, although
   it can take a couple of weeks. If you do not expect to
   upload a new version for a while, send an email to
   override-change@debian.org so that bug reports will go
   to you right away.

I'd like to do that, but am not yet a sanctioned developer;
do you think I should send that email, or do I really have
to wait?  Thanks.