Separate packages despite source dependency?

    The latest version of LICQ is actually two packages: the main LICQ
package and a plugin to handle the QT gui functions.  The problem is
that to compile the QT gui stuff you have to unpack it into the LICQ
directory, otherwise it is completely separate.  It is also quite
feasable that in the future, different (perhaps, say, GTK) GUI plugins
could appear, with a similar problem.  Ideally, those plugins should
go into a separate package, with the LICQ main package having a
dependency on at least one of them, or possibly on a virtual package
that they all could provide.  Unfortunately, those packages could be
(and the one available one currently is) source-dependent upon the
main LICQ package.  How do I handle this?  The only way I can
currently see to get it to work is to merge the plugin and the main
source trees, run configure twice from different directories and copy
the results over into different directories and make a multi-binary
package out of it, but that seems kind of ugly, and will be a major
pain as new versions of independent components get released.

    Ideas, anyone?  Please?

 Zed Pobre <zed@va.debian.org> | PGP key on servers, fingerprint on finger