Re: NMU's

On Thu, Jul 08, 1999 at 11:50:09AM -0500, chris mckillop wrote:
> Here is my first question...
>
> 	If I have built a package for a platform port (wdm on
> Sparc/UltraSparc in this case) from a source package already in
> unstable, do I replace the Maintainer's info with mine in
> debian/control file for pgp signing or do I do it with a command line
> option to dpkg-buildpackage?  Also, what are the rules for doing NMU's?
>
> 	chris

Several issues to be aware of:

1) did you have to make any changes to the source to get it to compile on
the other port? If so then send the patches as a bug report back to the
maintainer. Also make sure that you note the changes in the changelog and
increase the package version by 0.1 (ie 1.2-3 would become 1.2-3.1). Make
sure that the upload includes the .diff.gz with your changes (by passing
the correct option to dpkg-buildpackage).

2) Did you compile by passing the -B option to dpkg-buildpackage? If not
you need to, this avoids uploading a new diff.gz (ignore this if you
answered yes to #1).

Porting is not really considered an NMU unless you have to make changes to
the original package source. Also, never change the Maintainer line in the
control file, always pass -m"Me <me@foo.com>" to dpkg-buildpackage for
proper pgp signing.

I would also like to note that the sparc buildd will be starting back up
soon, so the packages in unstable will get synced again (cross your
fingers :). If your not confortable with uploading this package, then you
can just leave it to the buildd to take care of.

Ben