Re: Request for assistance: netbase manpages

No, /etc/networks just associates a name with a network (base) address,
so what you did is the right thing -- there's no reason to specify
a netmask there.

You just have to specify netmasks in the ifconfig and route commands
(maybe other places too?), which are (in debian) in the
/etc/init.d/network script.

Apologies if I misunderstood your comment/question...