Re: question about kernel sources .config

On 25 Jun 1999, Kirk Reiser wrote:

> > Maybe change the config so that the scsi/ether drivers are not compiled
> > in. A fairly generic kernel 2.2 should be about 660k.
> >

> Yes, I have already done that and get 541k with no scsi built in.  But
> as you can guess, that severely restricts the set of people that can
> use that distribution for installation.  My question was motivated by
> the fact that I figured somebody must be doing something because the
> standard kernel had grown so large.

Well, I don't think there is a way to get around it. You have
so much space and so much information. I think a boot/driver
disk set is the only way. You don't need the drivers until
you write to the harddrive. Maybe putting the ether drivers
on the bt disk and the scsi,ide,etc on the driver disk
is a better idea.

> Which reminds me of something else.  The rdev.sh failed trying to set
> the root disk to /dev/ram0.  I was wondering if something was changing
> around that as well.

See if the device is made at that point.

| R Garth Wood                    | Storm Linux: Taking Linux by storm. |
| Stormix Technologies Inc.       | www.stormix.com                     |
| Supreme Commander               |                                     |