Re: New Convert From Win--need some help

On Sun, Jun 13, 1999 at 01:12:09PM -0700, Jeremy W. wrote:

> 2: Is KDE available for the Debian distribution? I've seen it, and it looks
> like a very smooth transition from a Win32 environment.
KDE has serious licensing issues and is not included.  Though packages
can be downloaded at KDE's web site.  And also some Debian website as
well.  Though I don't recall where.

> 3: Is there an included boot manager (gotta have win for my games
> :-)?
LILO

> 4: Is this (below) hardware supported, or where can I find a list that will
> tell me if it is?
>
> Dell Dimension:
> Pentium III 500 mhz
> TNT2 Vid Card               <- Your going to need the newer XFree86
                                 Drivers or Nvidia's website
> Voodoo2 3d accelerator      <- Why both a TNT2 and a Voodoo2
> Soundblaster Live 512V      <- You need to go to the Creative Labs
                                 web site and get the drivers your self
> Altec Lansing ACS-495 Speakers  <- Speakers are speakers, though the
                                     USB connections are not functional
> MS Intellimouse                 <- It's a PS/2 mouse.  Use imps2
> Okay, I think that's all I'm worried about . . . If I should wonder about
> another component tell me please.

Also you most likely have a hugh hard drive.  You need some area under
the 8GB (1024 cyclinders) To but a /boot partition.  The best solution
is to get another Hard drive