Re: data and config file placement

John Travers <jtravs@debian.org> writes:

> I have just started to package nightfall (an astronomy application)
> and when I run lintian everything is fine except I get a load of:
>
> W: nightfall: executable-not-elf-or-script usr/share/nightfall/doc/C/Introduction.html

Shouldn't this be in /usr/doc/nightfall ?

> 1) how do I make these non executable.?

chmod a-x <file>

> 2) how can I put the config (cfg) files in /etc/hightfall (the
> package uses a confgure script, but I can't specify the config file
> dir), prehaps symlinks --> how would I do this?

You can definately make a symlink.  For instance, supposing the
program expects /usr/share/nightfall/config/*, and you wanna use
/etc/nightfall/*, just install/move the config files into
/etc/nightfall/, and make a symlink from /usr/share/nightfall/config
-> /etc/nightfall.  If you don't know how to do that, you really need
to step back and bone up on Unix a bit... :)

You can also mention your need to the upstream maintainer -- maybe he
and you could work on enabling the configdir options (--sysconfigdir I
think in autoconf).