Re: question about porting...

On Wed, Apr 21, 1999 at 10:23:54AM -0700, Ivan E. Moore II wrote:
> (how do we know if packages we create work on other platforms?)
>
> That's the question, here's a bit of an explanation.
>
> I create several packages...2 of which (horde-core and imp) are built for all
> since they are just html/php3 codes and not platform specific.  But 2 others
> (rrdhcp and rrlogin) are not.  I build them on i386 systems and have no clue
> (other than the author saying they "should" work on other platforms) whether
> they will compile/work on say m68k, hurd, sparc platforms.

Most likely the porters who run the autobuild systems will let you know of
any compile problems. Being a sparc autobuild system maintainer, I can report
that rrdhcpd compiles fine on sparc, however the build setup is broke horribly
since it tries to install into the live filesystem instead of debian/tmp
where they should be. I'm not sure how you got a working package out of this
but it wont build right from the source you've uploaded.

I personally wont build this on sparc until that is fixed. I would have filed
a bug report by now, but sparc unstable is so far behind, I have had little time.

Ben