Re: creating libraries

On Wed, Mar 31, 1999 at 01:37:52AM +0100, Pedro Guerreiro wrote:
> Standards-Version: 2.4.0.0

You can change this 2.5.0 (of course, once lintian confirms it).

> Why does the Package names have a _1_ in them? [snip]

If they are libraries, they should be called lib<name><soname>{-dev}.
Go to debian/tmp/usr/lib, and find libwhatever.so.X file (of course
replace 'whatever' with the actual name, and X with the number found).
Then run this:

objdump --private libwhatever.so.X | grep SONAME

And it will return something like this:

  SONAME      libcgraph.so.2

Then you will be absolutely sure how to name it. If not, sit down,
take a deep breath, and try again :))

> OTOH, why is package cgraph1-dev referring to cgraph-dev? This package doesn't
> exist. Is he trying to 'create' a virtual package? I think I should delete
> those lines, am I right?

Yes, it is trying to create a virtual package, in case you later create
libcgraph3-dev and so on. If you don't think you'll have problems with
later upstream releases, you should delete the Provides: line.

One more thing: libcgraph2-dev should have this dependency on libcgraph2:
Depends: cgraph1 (= ${Source-Version})
since most library package do that - headers and static libs usually
depend on exact versions of shared libs.