creating libraries

Hi.

While creating a library, one question poped to mind:

I've got a dir called cgraph-2.04, and when I run dh_make in it, it debianized
the source tree (so far so good), but the debian/control file, is like this:

-*-
Source: cgraph
Section: devel
Maintainer: Pedro Guerreiro <pguerreiro@bigfoot.com>
Standards-Version: 2.4.0.0

Package: cgraph1-dev
Architecture: any
Depends: cgraph1, libc6-dev
Provides: cgraph-dev
Conflicts: cgraph-dev
 Missing

Package: cgraph1
Architecture: any
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}
 Missing
-*-

Why does the Package names have a _1_ in them? Shouldn't it be cgraph-dev and
cgraph? If the _1_ is the version of the library, them should it be _2_ (since
the library is 2.04)? (Remenber to RTFM, wait a minute...)

(...back again)
I think the _1_ is supposed to be the soname that the debian policy talks
about, but then it definitely should be _2_, right?

OTOH, why is package cgraph1-dev referring to cgraph-dev? This package doesn't
exist. Is he trying to 'create' a virtual package? I think I should delete
those lines, am I right?

Thanks.
--
Pedro Guerreiro (aka digito)    (pguerreiro@bigfoot.com)
Diplomacy: the art of letting someone have your own way.