Re: What to do when new version available upstream...

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> "Using CVS together with Debian GNU/Linux packages"
> <http://www.debian.org/devel/HOWTO.cvs> suggests another solution,
> based on CVS. It seems very nice (I use CVS for other projects) but I
> did not use it for Debian yet (any experiences/war stories?).

I can report a moderately successful experience using the cvs-inject
command from cvs-buildpackage to install new upstream sources in my cvs
repository.

I *did* have to review the old patches, and edit some of the changes
into the new upstream source by hand, where the code that changed had
been moved to a different file, but this probably would have been the
case if I'd been using patch as well.  I guess the ultimate lesson here
is that no solution is perfect.

The only tricky bit I've found with the whole cvs-buildpackage system is
that you have to commit test builds and hand export them for testing
purposes if you don't want to constantly overwrite tags in the cvs
repository.  I just do "cvs export -D now <package>" in a temporary
directory for testing purposes.  I've been thinking of filing a wishlist
bug to have cvs-buildpackage take a switch that means "test build, not a
releasable product."  But aside from that very minor quirk,
cvs-buildpackage is an excellent product, and I highly recommend it.
Very easy to use, and very useful.

cheers