Re: [HOWTO?] Splitting one upstream package into several .debs

On Thu, Feb 11, 1999 at 01:56:24PM -0800, Sudhakar Chandrasekharan wrote:
> > > W: libaspell0: non-dev-pkg-with-shlib-symlink usr/lib/libaspell.so.0.0.0
> > > usr/lib/libaspell.so
> > > usr/lib/libaspell.so.0.0.0
> > > usr/lib/libaspell.so -> libaspell.so.0.0.0
> >
> > Simply, make this libaspell.so go into the libaspell-dev package.
> > How to do it "the right way" I don't know, but simple rming and lning
> > would do the trick.
>
> But I want to build a total of four packages - aspell (containing the
> binaries), libaspell0 (containing the libraries), libaspell-dev (containing
> the header files) and aspell-doc (containg the documentation).

I didn't say anything about that, it is just that the libfoo.so symlink
always goes in the -dev package. The rest is fine, except that you should
include static libraries in libaspell-dev, too (don't ask me why, though :).

> > > And (sorry to ask a really stupid Q) why is it
> > > libaspell.so.0.0.0 and not libaspell.so.0.26.2 ?
> > Was it .0.26.2 before?
>
> No.  I was just wondering whether it should be .so.0.26.2 .

It could, but the soname doesn't have to be equal to the program/library
version. A little confusing to me, but many libs make it different.