Re: x/app-defaults, how to handle them correctly?

Adrian Bridgett schrieb:

> On Wed, Jan 13, 1999 at 09:52:58AM +0100, Olaf Stetzer wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I am working on the package slab (harddisk-recording)
> > which is an engine with tcl-frontend. The program is started
> > by the following wrapper:
> > #!/bin/bash
> > #
> > # The "startSLab" scripts provide a really basic set of startup routines
> > # for SLab, setting the requisite environment, and then calling mixslab
> > # kick the engine into life. This bash version of the csh script was
> > donated
> > # by Andre van der Vlies. If you prefer not to have the sometimes
> > disconcerting
> > # shmem error messages, pipe the mixslab output into /dev/null.
> > #
> >
> > declare -x SLAB_HOME=/usr/lib/slab
> >
> > declare -x TCL_LIBRARY=${SLAB_HOME}/tcl.files
> > declare -x TK_LIBRARY=${SLAB_HOME}/tcl.files
> >
> > PATH=${SLAB_HOME}/bin:${SLAB_HOME}/effects:$PATH
> >
> > xrdb -merge $SLAB_HOME/.Xdefaults
> >
> > exec mixslab
> > Can I leave this like this, or should I move .Xdefaults to
> > /usr/lib/X1/app-defaults and modify the wrapper?
> > Another question: How can I include the functionalitiy of using
> > user-preferences? Just add the following lines?
> >
> > if -f [$HOME/.slab] xrdb -merge $HOME/.slab
> > fi
>
> It's my understanding that if you comply with debian-policy 5.7
> (/usr/doc/debian-policy) and delete the "xrdb" line, everything will work
> fine.
Hmm, does xrdb or the Xserver parse through app-defaults automagically?
The program itself (not the wrapper) seems not to parse any resource
files.

> 5.7 says to install it in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/ and _not_ to tag
> it as a conffile.
>
> Adrian

--   Olaf Stetzer  --  EC/JRC/Institute for Transuranium Elements   --
-   email to: stetzer@itu.fzk.de   or   ostetzer@mail.uni-mainz.de   -
--      "Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny."  Frank Zappa      --