Re: x/app-defaults, how to handle them correctly?

On Wed, Jan 13, 1999 at 09:52:58AM +0100, Olaf Stetzer wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am working on the package slab (harddisk-recording)
> which is an engine with tcl-frontend. The program is started
> by the following wrapper:
> #!/bin/bash
> #
> # The "startSLab" scripts provide a really basic set of startup routines
> # for SLab, setting the requisite environment, and then calling mixslab
> # kick the engine into life. This bash version of the csh script was
> donated
> # by Andre van der Vlies. If you prefer not to have the sometimes
> disconcerting
> # shmem error messages, pipe the mixslab output into /dev/null.
> #
>
> declare -x SLAB_HOME=/usr/lib/slab
>
> declare -x TCL_LIBRARY=${SLAB_HOME}/tcl.files
> declare -x TK_LIBRARY=${SLAB_HOME}/tcl.files
>
> PATH=${SLAB_HOME}/bin:${SLAB_HOME}/effects:$PATH
>
> xrdb -merge $SLAB_HOME/.Xdefaults
>
> exec mixslab
> Can I leave this like this, or should I move .Xdefaults to
> /usr/lib/X1/app-defaults and modify the wrapper?
> Another question: How can I include the functionalitiy of using
> user-preferences? Just add the following lines?
>
> if -f [$HOME/.slab] xrdb -merge $HOME/.slab
> fi

It's my understanding that if you comply with debian-policy 5.7
(/usr/doc/debian-policy) and delete the "xrdb" line, everything will work
fine.

5.7 says to install it in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/ and _not_ to tag
it as a conffile.

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@zetnet.co.uk, http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing.   PGP key available on public key servers
Avoid tiresome goat sacrifices  -=-  use Debian Linux http://www.debian.org