/var/state ?

I'm in the process of packaging linpopup (a winpopup lookalike). It
keeps its messages in /tmp/linpopup.dat (so that they are preserved over
sessions), but that is IMHO wrong. I was looking through the policy
manual for indications as to where I should put that file, and got
redirected to the FHS docs. There I gather that I should use
/var/state/misc/linpopup. However, I don't see that being used yet;
should I just go ahead and use it?

Additionally, a change needs to be made to smb.conf for it to actually
be able to receive messages.  I have mixed feelings on how to do this;
on the one hand, if the user chooses to install this packge, he
apparently wants to be able to receive messages, so changing smb.conf
should be OK. On the other hand, it's a conffile belonging to another
package, so simply changing it feels wrong. On the third hand :-), I
don't like packages that are interactive in the postinst phase.  My
preference is to display a message saying to look in
/usr/doc/linpopup/... for what to do.  Opinions?

I guess it would be OK for the postrm to remove any reference to
linpopup in smb.conf, as leaving it in will probably cause mysterious
errors.

Thanks,
Paul Slootman
--