Re: /var/state ?

On Wed 02 Sep 1998, Paul Slootman wrote:

> I'm in the process of packaging linpopup (a winpopup lookalike). It

I've put an initial version of linpopup in ~paul on master, so if anyone
wants to have a look...

I've used /var/state, and I don't add anything to smb.conf automatically
or ask anything during install. However, if there was already a linpopup
entry in smb.conf, but commented out, I re-enable it. On deinstallation
I turn it into a comment, with an appropriate marker so that I can find
it again. I feel that changing smb.conf on deinstallation is justified
by the fact that otherwise error messages will appear in samba's logs.

If there wasn't an entry already, I show a message about what to do, and
that same message is preloaded into the linpopup message file, so that
starting linpopup will redisplay that message. That should get the
message across :-)

If anyone has any comments on this, please let me know; otherwise I'll
upload it next week.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org