Re: Why is "1" appended to package name?

On Tue, Sep 01, 1998 at 05:27:03PM -0400, Ossama Othman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I ran deb-make on my package source, it appended a "1" to the package
> name in debian/control, for example.  Why does deb-make do this?
>
> 	e.g: package is "ace1" instead of "ace"

because you told deb-make that the package was a library. It's appeding the
soname version to the library name. In fact, the package with the shared
library should be called libace1 (or libace0, or libace2, whatever applies)
to be able to have two versions of the shared library installed at once,
libace0 and libace1. The lib part is there to make it easier to spot
libraries. There probably should be a second package libace-dev... usually
you can set up an environment to build against just *one* shared library,
but there are ways arround this. If you want to provide such an arrangement,
call the package libace1-dev and libace2-dev. Also, make sure libace-dev
depends on the correct version of libace?.

						Marcelo