Re: debstd trouble with multi-binary package

Martin Schulze <joey@tapiola.Infodrom.North.DE> writes:
> debstd is depricated, use the debhelper instead.

Incidentally, if you look at the Debian Developer's corner
(http://www.debian.org/developers_corner), you can see why a lot of
new maintainers start using debstd instead of debhelper.  We have two
different documents suggesting debmake/debstd and zero suggesting
debhelper.

Joey Hess, as the maintainer of debhelper, do you see this as a
situation that should change?  I think we should eliminate any manuals
suggesting debstd (or put it under a "historic" section), and try to
get someone working on a debhelper equivalent.  Perhaps a discussion
of the pros and cons of debhelper, hand-roll (a la Manoj), and
cvs-buildpackage and the like could be discussed also.

I'm probably going to take over the developers reference; I've
considered widening the scope a little to talk about package practices
(not a HOWTO, however!) which might discuss these high level issues,
i.e., what methods are available to developers to help them package
stuff, which ones are deprecated and which are supported, etc., all
the while sticking with objective fact and leaving the valuation up to
the maintainer herself.

Comments please.