Re: One source, two binary packages

On 9 Apr 1998, Ben Gertzfield wrote:

>     Santiago> I disagree here.
>
>     Santiago> If you put this in a different debian/rules target
>     Santiago> (called, for example, automake-refresh), then you and
>     Santiago> only you would be forced to have automake and autoconf
>     Santiago> installed, but nobody else.
>
> That's why the comment said that it's unnecessary for that package.
>
> For the GIMP packages, it is required; they ship with a libtool
> that is incompatible with Debian policy. I have to run
> automake/aclocal/autoconf every single time the package builds
> to remove all vestiges of the old libtool and replace it with the
> Debian libtool.

You actually only need to run it once.  Once they've been run once
(probably right after porting your changes into a new version), the
updated files are left behind and will be included in the diff generated
when you build the package.

--
Scott K. Ellis <storm@gate.net>                 http://www.gate.net/~storm/