Re: make problem with targets that have paths in it.

Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> I get with different make files and different sources error messages like
> the following:
>
> make: *** No rule to make target ../libvncauth/libvncauth.a', needed by `vncviewer'.  Stop.
>
> But the path is okay, and the Makefile in ../libvncauth *has* a target
> "libvncauth.a".
>
> What is going wrong?
>
> Example situation:
>
> $ mkdir testsuit
> $ mkdir testsuit/room
> $ cat > testsuit/room/Makefile
> world: ../hello
>         echo "world!"
> ^D
> $ cat > testsuit/Makefile
> hello:
>         echo "Hello, "
> ^D
> $ cd testsuit/room
> $ make world
> make: *** No rule to make target ../hello', needed by `World'.  Stop.

Well. Make is just not made to support this. The usual solution for this
problem is:

world: ../hello
	echo "world!"

../hello:
	(cd .. && $(MAKE) hello)

I haven't tested it, but it *should* work.

Greets, Stephan

--
In a thousand years, there will be no men and women, just wankers.
And that's fine by me. * Trainspotting