Re: make problem with targets that have paths in it.

Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 14, 1998 at 01:54:33AM +0100, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>
> > Well. Make is just not made to support this. The usual solution for this
> > problem is:
> >
> > world: ../hello
> >       echo "world!"
> >
> > ../hello:
> >       (cd .. && $(MAKE) hello)
> >
> > I haven't tested it, but it *should* work.
>
> Well, but it *works* if there is a file "hello" in the testing directory, so
> this can't be the whole story.
>
> Note that the Makefiles that failed weren't mine. They do work for other
> people, and sometimes they work for me, too.
>
> I really don't know what is wrong with the other Makefiles.

Well, of course it works, when the file is there. Make just compares the
time
stamps. If the file is there, it's fine, but if it's not, it doesn't
have a rule
to create the file and that's, what it tells you.

Do you use -j? If not, I can't think of a reason, why it sometimes works
and sometimes
not.

Greets, Stephan

--
In a thousand years, there will be no men and women, just wankers.
And that's fine by me. * Trainspotting