Re: packaging on master/va

On Mon, Dec 21, 1998 at 09:09:30PM -0600, Andrew Feinberg wrote:
> Hello!
> 	I'm a new maintainer, and I'd like to be able to keep the package I'll be doing on master or va. The problem is, I don't know how I would go about repackaging without breaking the install since the paths would be different if I packaged from my ~dir. Does anyone know how I could do this safely? I only want to change the maintainer field and changelog for now, but I want to keep it like this in the future.
> 	Also, my package is on multiple platforms. If I'm building a package for i386, how would I build it for the others if I don't have access to those types of boxen? I'm sorry if I should know this or if its a dumb question...I'm just young and ignorant ;)

It doesn't matter where you create the package.  Part of the packaging
process is the creation of an installation subtree, usually within the
package build directory, that appears as if it were in the root.

I can't say what policy is for using master (or va) for packaging.

Building for other platforms depends on having an appropriate system
to build on.  We have an alpha (faure.debian.org) and I believe there
is an Arm out there, too.