Re: problem with ldconfig and packaging libs

On Thu, Dec 17, 1998 at 03:19:46AM +0900, Ionutz Borcoman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to package my first set of libs. I am doing this from my
> account with fakeroot. The problem is that this way, the process stops
> with the following error:

Just in case...

1) In this case the Makefile should not run ldconfig. Your solution
   (ldconfig -n) is about the same, because ldconfig is not processing the
   trusted directories nor the configured ones. It's not writing the cache
   either (which could be REALLY BAD -- think 'ports', package building
   shoud NOT mess arround with porter's machines, or anyone's machines for
   that matter). With -n ldconfig is doing nothing (strace it) because you
   didn't specify a directory to work on.

2) What's ldconfig supposed to be doing in this particular case? It reads
   the so.x.y file, extracts the soname, puts a symlink soname ->
   library.so.x.y and also a library.so -> library.so.x.y one. It's not
   doing that, so there's no symlink.

   What should you do? Remove ldconfig from the makefile, and after running
   "$(MAKE) install" in debian/rules, add the necessary commands to make the
   symlinks *in the proper order* and *in the proper packages* (read the
   Packaging Manual, shared libraries section -- gosh, I want the PM in info
   format!)

   IFF it's possible, you should build a static library and put that on the
   -dev package.

HTH,

				Marcelo