Re: What to do with extra sources needed to build a package

    Peter> I'm in the process of packaging xplot (a simple data
    Peter> plotter for X. It's designed to show one- or twodimensional
    Peter> datasets, either from a file or from a pipe).  It uses
    Peter> XForms, which put it in contrib.

    Peter> To build it, I must also install an extension to XForms
    Peter> called libfli.  The program is statically linked against
    Peter> libfli, such that libfli is not required to use xplot.

    Peter> What should I do about libfli?

*snip*

    Peter> 3- Package libfli also?  It appears to have extensions
    Peter> useful to XForms developers.

This is the right thing to do, assuming we can redistribute libfli.

Make packages for libfli2 and libfli-dev (assuming the soname of
libfli is 2, for example) and you'll be set. Do you have experience
building Debian packages of libraries? There are a few gotchas that
you'll hit if you don't have experience in it already.

Ben

--
Brought to you by the letters D and X and the number 0.
"Hello! We are only joke. It is funny enough." -- Orz, SCII