What to do with extra sources needed to build a package

I'm in the process of packaging xplot (a simple data plotter for
X. It's designed to show one- or twodimensional datasets, either
from a file or from a pipe).  It uses XForms, which put it in
contrib.

To build it, I must also install an extension to XForms called
libfli.  The program is statically linked against libfli, such
that libfli is not required to use xplot.

What should I do about libfli?

1- Mention where to get sources for it in README.Debian?
   This means that we would not be distributing full sources,
   which is bad.

2- Include the sources for libfli in xplot.orig.tar.gz?
   This also seems strange, and would lead to a strange build
   sequence if libfli were not already installed.

   2a- I could edit the Makefile to create the libfli.a library
       in the build directory and use it from there.

3- Package libfli also?
   It appears to have extensions useful to XForms developers.

I figure 3 is simpler for me.
--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist          <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Maurice Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada