Re: Where to patch?

In article <[🔎] m0zjq2S-000LJSC@bobspc>, Bob Hilliard <hilliard@flinet.com> writes:
>      When is the correct time to apply a patch to the upstream
> source?  I have a small patch to the source code of the dictd source
> code.  Of course, I am submitting it to the upstream author, and I
> hope he will incorporate it in the next version.  In the meantime I
> will apply the patch and upload a new version of the package.
> Should I modify debian/rules to apply the patch, or should I apply
> the patch to the source before building the package?

Having been forced to try to patch a tar.gz from within debian/rules
before for a package -- don't ask, and no, I don't have to do this
anymore -- I would suggest *not* patching source from debian/rules.
Consider that the debian/rules clean target would have to unpatch.
Consider whether everything is idempotent (i.e., you can run
'debian/rules clean' or 'debian/rules build' many times, in any
order).

It's just no worth it; use the functionality that is already there by
patching the source directly.