Where to patch?

     When is the correct time to apply a patch to the upstream source?

     I have a small patch to the source code of the dictd source code.
Of course, I am submitting it to the upstream author, and I hope he
will incorporate it in the next version.  In the meantime I will apply
the patch and upload a new version of the package.  Should I modify
debian/rules to apply the patch, or should I apply the patch to the
source before building the package?

Bob
--
   _