Re: New unstable GTK+/GLib packages' names -- seeking advice

On Sun, 22 Nov, 1998, Ben Gertzfield wrote:
> GTK+ and GLib have a somewhat curious developmental situation; they release
> versions that are binary (and source, sometimes) incompatible with
> previous releases with each developmental 1.1.x release.
>
> Version 1.1.5 of both GTK+ and GLib have just been released. I have
> received complaints about packages compiled against, say GTK+ 1.1.2,
> breaking as soon as 1.1.3 is installed. Should I:

Does Version 1.1.5 include themes? That would be fun.

> 1) make the source and binary names for the new packages like gtk+1.1.5
>    and glib1.1.5, changing the source and binary package names each time
>    a new developmental upstream release comes out

Yes this is the way. Release gtk1.1.5 and glib1.1.5 AND libgtk1.1.2 and
glib1.1.2, then make the 1.1.2 versions provide libgtk1.1 and glib1.1

Problem solved (?)

--
GNU does not eliminate all the world's problems, only some of them.
						-- The GNU Manifesto