Re: Maybe I broke xfstt?

On Fri, Oct 09, 1998 at 02:23:25PM +0200, Paul Slootman wrote:
> On Thu 08 Oct 1998, Stephen J. Carpenter wrote:
>
> > if someone could grab xfstt-0.9.9-7 and test it (I don't think its
> > been installed yet) I would apreciate it... (btw it uses start-stop-daemon
>
> I can only find a xfstt_0.9.9-8. Is this already fixed, or does it
> still need looking at?

Thats um...fixed. (btw xfstt-0.9.9-7 is currently installed...)

The problm well...actually kin dof embarasing :)

I got an e-mail about a week ago with an idea....to make xfstt's init.d
script behave allot more like xfs...I thought "cool"

The script he gave me (which I used) contained:

portno=7100

I changed it a few releaces ago to 7101 as a default (to avoid conflict
with xfs)...I didn't catch this...course...I was tired at the time :)

now it apears to be working...except...
when it "starts"..well...
xfstt doesn't automatically daemonize... you have to invoke it with an &
or somehow otherwise daemonize it...so start-stop-daemon never returns...
so I put a & on the whole line.

I would like to change that but...havn't yet. Should be a matter of adding
a single command line option to daemonize and actually daemonizing is easy

> BTW, I would recommend putting things with special chars (such as $)
> inside (single!) quotes. So, change it into:
>
> if grep -q '^no-start-xfstt$' /etc/X11/config
>
> This way you're sure the ^ and $ aren't interpreted (when I started
> using Unix, ^ could be used instead of the pipe symbol...).

Well I didn't write that part...and it worked...so I didn't fix it

however...I think he just copies from the xfs script because...
it has the same line (just without the tt)

> Anyway, I think the $ at the end of the word is a bit paranoid, and will
> lead to confusion if someone accidentally puts a space at the end.

hmm the xfs one doesn't have the $ ...ill fix it :)
Thanx...grep patterns in general tend to confuse me a bit...
its one of those things im still learning

-Steve

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"