Re: linpopup

On Mon 07 Sep 1998, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> Paul Slootman <paul@wau.mis.ah.nl> wrote:
>
> > > I'm in the process of packaging linpopup (a winpopup lookalike). It
> >
> > I've put an initial version of linpopup in ~paul on master, so if anyone
> > wants to have a look...
>
> I've just installed this thing, and everything looks ok to me.. But there is,
> however a lintian warning:
>
>   [ttyp6.papadoc]$ lintian -c linpopup_0.9.1-1_i386.deb
>   W: linpopup: wrong-name-for-upstream-changelog usr/doc/linpopup/CHANGES

OK.

> Should be 'changelog'. I also have a little wishlist.
>
>   1. Find a way to add the 'message command' line automaticly.
>      This is just to simplify for beginners, no big deal.

I've sent a message to the samba maintainer, asking if maybe he sees a
possibility of handling this via an alternative; samba will then supply
a dummy message handler that just discards the message, and the standard
smb.conf will have an entry for the handler. When linpopup is
installerd, it should replace the dummy handler so that it is
automagically activated. This sounds workable to me, now I hope Eloy
plays along.

>   2. Tell the user they have to have linpopup started to be able to
>      receive messages. The 'message command' is only used to _SEND_
>      messages. This took me about 5 minutes to figgure out, but a
>      beginner might not be able to realize that just because there
>      is a 'message command' line, samba will not open the linpopup
>      window. This is just for clarification, no bigger deal.

I can see how this confusion may arise...  I've added a bit to the
manpage clarifying this, and a oneliner to the message displayed at
installation time.

>   3. In the control file you say:

>        LinPopUp is a Xwindow port of Winpopup, running over Samba.
>        It allows a linux system to communicate with a windows computer that
>        runs Winpopup, sending or receiving message.  It also provides an
>        alternative way to communicate between Linux computers that run Samba.
>
>      Why say the same thing twice? (line 1 and 2). Just remove the second line
>      ('LinPopUp is a ....').

The first is the oneliner description that's e.g. shown on the main
dselect list of packages, while the second line is the first line of the
longer description shown in the bottom part of dselect. It looks a bit
strange in the control file, but isn't this done in other packages as
well?

> > If there wasn't an entry already, I show a message about what to do, and
> > that same message is preloaded into the linpopup message file, so that
> > starting linpopup will redisplay that message. That should get the
> > message across :-)
>
> It sure did... I don't know if there where any problem with the install, or
> if it was my fault, but after installation, I tried to send some messages
> with smbclient, which nothing hapened (since I haven't started linpopup, I
> thought samba should take care of that... The 'message command' line... :)
>
> But when I finaly started linpopup every message I've been trying to send,
> appered, one by one, where your message where the first  _AND THE LAST_ !?!?!?
> And that last message kept apering over and over, making 'delete all' almost
> impossible...

That's strange; I tried all sorts of combinations, purging and
reinstalling the package between tries, but it always worked ok AFAIK.
I'd appreciate it if you could give a step-by-step description on how to
reproduce your problem...  I had some problems initially with the
message file having wrong permissions (it needs to be 666) which led to
a situation where you couldn't delete the first message, but that should
be fixed now.

I'll try to get into contact with the upstream author about a couple of
things before I upload the package (I'd like my patches integrated into
the upstream source so that the diff file is nice and small ;-); I sent
a message last week, but haven't heard back yet. If I still have no
response before the weekend, I'll upload it anyway.

I gather there's no resistance against using /var/state, so I changed
the subject line.

Thanks for taking the time to take my package apart!  :-)

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org
http://www.wurtel.demon.nl | Murphy Software,   Enschede,   the Netherlands