Re: /usr/share?

Hi,
>>"Marcelo" == Marcelo E Magallon <mmagallo@efis.ucr.ac.cr> writes:

 Marcelo> What I mean here is that moving things from one directory
 Marcelo> (/usr/lib, /usr/X11R6/lib, /usr/whatever) to another
 Marcelo> (/usr/share) calls for lots of symlinks for backwards
 Marcelo> compatibility, in order to avoid breaking installed
 Marcelo> packages.

	Only if other packages are supposed to access the data
 directly (Perl, et al). If the info.txt files from angband went from
 /usr/lib to /usr/share, noone shall be the wiser.

	Also, note that we acoomplished the emacsen switch (elisp
 files moved from /usr/lib to /usr/share) without general mayhem

 Marcelo> You have a point, this is not as bad as the glib2 thing.
 Marcelo> Ok, I overstated the situation. It's not
 Marcelo> incompatibility. It's more like chaos.

	Oh, I think it is not as bad as all that. It is easy enough to
 decide on a package by package basis what should go into /usr/share,
 and what into /usr/lib. It shan't be hard at all if we all play the
 tune ...

 Marcelo> That part ("distributor's discretion") doesn't play well
 Marcelo> with the LSB thing, tough.  Am I making a point? I don't
 Marcelo> think so... afterall, this is not what I was asking in the
 Marcelo> first place... or was it? ;-)

	;-)

	manoj

--
 I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and
 tired of being told that ordinary decent people are fed up in this