Re: How to determine header dependencies for -dev packages

On Tue, May 19, 1998 at 10:13:11PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> Hi,
> >>"Shaleh" == Shaleh  <shaleh@livenet.net> writes:
>
> Shaleh> Is there an easy way to determine header dependencies?
> Shaleh> Anyone header could include many others.  Or do I have to
> Shaleh> open up each header and track down which package it is
> Shaleh> included in?
>
> 	Well, one may script this -- there are scripts out there that
>  can print a recursive tree of included dependencies (unfortunately,
>  most scripts do not deal well with cpp conditionals); one just needs
>  grab ths list of headers, and then do a dpkg -S on them. Not likely
>  to be fast, but it'll work.

You don't need to go deeper that one level (assume that the package installing
the external include file has correct dependencies) and you need to do that
only for the include files that the -dev package installs, not for all the
include files used to compile the library (as they would be needed for
source-depends only).

An utility dpkg-incldeps would be very handy, indeed.

fab