Re: postinst howto q's

On 18 May 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> Hi,
> 	Igor has already pointed out the the md5sum and non-confile
>  postinst-handled file solutions.
>
> 	As to the ugly hack of trying to call dpkg -l in the middle of
>  a dpkg run, that may not be feasible since dpkg tries very hard to
>  serialize access to its state files.

Hmm I did not know that.

> 	The best solution probably is to create a script in
>  /usr/sbin/pppupd-config, and tell the user to run that when ppp has
>  been configured. (Make sure that this line does not get lost,
>  scrolling up the screen, on a large upgrade run.

Loooking closely at the situation it seems there is only one piece of
information in the default configuration that _has_ to be changed namely a
hostname to ping. And there I can give a the safe albeit rather useless
choice of localhost as a default.  My only concern now is that as far as
possible I should do something to stop pppupd from become active before
ppp is active.  So I'm asking the user to respond "yes, ppp is configured
correctly" before continuing pppupds configuration.

> 	In some cases it is better to let the humans make the tough
>  decisions.

Until the development of dpkg-brainscan anyway :-)

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@braincells.com>