Re: postinst howto q's

On Mon, 18 May 1998, Igor Grobman wrote:

> Well, you could compare the md5sums, but that's not what you want to do...  In
> your case, it's better not to include the conffile in the package, but instead
> create it in the postinst.  You should probably separate the config-file
> creation part into a separate script that the user can run any time s/he feels
> like.  This is what gpm, sendmail and many others do.
>
> BTW, modifying conffiles in maintainer scripts is against policy (or packaging
> manual guidelines which should be policy).

This sounds like it could get complicated.  Actually now that I look at
it, there is only one piece of information a user needs to make pppupd
operational--a hostname to ping.  I can make this localhost and just tell
the user to change it to something more useful.

> Well, I can't think of a way to see if ppp is truly configured, not just
> successfully installed (this is what you will check for with your method).

Good point.

> Just making pppupd depend on ppp will make sure that ppp will be installed
> before pppupd is configured.

Yes it depends on ppp.

> I think that in this case, you have to assume
> that the user configured ppp already and/or do what you are already do: warn
> the user that the package won't work without ppp being properly configured.

The problem with the warning is that on a long deselect run it will whizz
by to fast for anyone to see it.  So what I do is ask if ppp is properly
configured and actually make the user type Y or N.  The configuration only
continues if they say yes.  I realize this could be considered quite
obnoxious too but I think it is very important pppupd not run until ppp is
properly configured.  Still If it is considered really really obnoxious
I'd get rid of it.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@braincells.com>