Where do orphaned packages go when you pick them up?

I am the (new) maintainer of tkdesk and am (finally) getting around to
packaging it up (blame my end of term exams).  My question is: where
should this go?  It'd be a shame for hamm not to have tkdesk; however,
at the time hamm was declared "frozen", tkdesk was not in it, but in
project/orphaned.

Should it go into unstable only?
Does it matter that the version I will be packaging is a new upstream
release from the version that was in bo and in project/orphaned?

Once I do upload this (to frozen or to unstable), how do I get rid of
the tkdesk that is in project/orphaned?