Re: menu-methods?

Marcelo E. Magallón wrote:
> this is an hyper-paranoid test for the existance of a) menu; b) the files
> being there. I got this idea from a debmake-generated postinst. Reading
> menu's documentation (chapter 3), that's the recommended action. Now, WHY?
> If menu is not installed, those files are not going to get run ever. If
> menu is installed, it's ok. Now the problem: If the window manager is
> installed and configured BEFORE menu is even installed, the files are not
> going to get the excutable bit, and update-menus (when installed) will
> ignore them. Am I missing something here?

/etc/menu-methods/wmaker is a configuration file. Therefore, if wmaker is
removed, but not purged, that file will still exist. And if update-menus is
then run, commands in that file may generate errors if they try to use files
in wmaker that have been removed.

To fix this, the menu package documentation reccommends that the postrm
remove the execute bit from /etc/menu-methods/wmaker on package removal,
and that the postinst make sure it execuatable again on installation.

--
see shy jo