menu-methods?

Hi,

	I suspect this code snippet found on wmaker's postinst is giving
users a headache:

    inst="/etc/menu-methods/wmaker /etc/menu-methods/wmstyle"

    [...]

    if [ -x /usr/bin/update-menus -a /usr/sbin/install-menu ] ; then
      for file in $inst ; do
	if [ -f $file ] ; then
	  chmod a+x $file
	fi
      done
      update-menus;
    else
      for file in $inst ; do
	if [ -f $file ] ; then
	  chmod a-x $file
        fi
      done
    fi

this is an hyper-paranoid test for the existance of a) menu; b) the files
being there. I got this idea from a debmake-generated postinst. Reading
menu's documentation (chapter 3), that's the recommended action. Now, WHY?
If menu is not installed, those files are not going to get run ever. If
menu is installed, it's ok. Now the problem: If the window manager is
installed and configured BEFORE menu is even installed, the files are not
going to get the excutable bit, and update-menus (when installed) will
ignore them. Am I missing something here?

I'm thinking of changing this to:

    if [ -x /usr/bin/update-menus -a /usr/sbin/install-menu ] ; then
      update-menus
    fi

			Marcelo