Re: conventions for packaging.

On Fri, 20 Feb 1998, Anand Kumria wrote:

> I've decided to try my hand at being a debian developer; and have picked
> mtr (from the orphaned list) as something to try. Some questions:
>
> - - should it be installed in /usr/sbin (it is a set-uid network diag
> program)

I've never seen the point in keeping network diagnostic programs out of
/usr/bin.  It's registered with suidmanager, if someone wants to strip it
of its permissions, it is easy enough to do.

> - - is the man page regarded as architecture independant?

> I am using deb-make and it picks the architecture as Any; the package that
> I am replacing also contains this. I should set this to i386, riht?

No, "any" means that the package will compile for any arch, not that the
compiled package will run on any arch.  "All" is for packages that contain
no compiled code (doc packages, interperated programs, etc).

--
Scott K. Ellis <storm@gate.net>                 http://www.gate.net/~storm/