Re: conventions for packaging.

On Fri, Feb 20, 1998 at 03:52:56AM +1100, Anand Kumria wrote:

> I've decided to try my hand at being a debian developer; and have picked
> mtr (from the orphaned list) as something to try. Some questions:
>
> - - should it be installed in /usr/sbin (it is a set-uid network diag
> program)

Is it used to be called by the sysadmin (=root) or by any user?
The answer will imply either directory

> - - is the man page regarded as architecture independant?

As it's plain text, I guess yes.

> I am using deb-make and it picks the architecture as Any; the package that
> I am replacing also contains this. I should set this to i386, riht?

Nope, that is done by dpkg-gencontrol.  You should have read the packagaging
documentation at http://www.debian.org/developers_corner/

> Also what is the best place to put this kind of program? Apps/System,
> Apps/Network or Apps/Misc?

I'd suggest Apps/Network

Regards,

	Joey

 /  Wer ist Germany.Net?               http://home.pages.de/~joey/
/  - Dauerwerbesender seiner Abbonenten.    -- Lutz Donnerhacke /