Re: Htslib plugins [EXT]

On Wed, Oct 19, 2022 at 10:27:24AM -0400, Aaron M. Ucko wrote:
> James Bonfield <jkb@sanger.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > 	--with-plugin-path='/usr/local/lib/htslib:/usr/local/libexec/htslib:$(plugindir)'
>
> I haven't been involved with this package, but I suspect that line was
> supposed to have a double dollar sign so as to yield a reference to your
> build system's plugindir variable.  Thanks for the report!

Yes.  My colleague pointed out after I sent the email that it's our
own Makefile with declares $plugindir.  (I should have known, but it's
a little byzantine at times.)

So this is a quoting problem. As you say maybe $$ or another form of
quoting will resolve it.

It may be worth revisiting patches/disable_plugin_loading_test.patch
afterwards too.  It's possible the reason the plugin test was disabled
was due to incorrectly configured plugins, but I'm not certain on
that.  Our upstream CI does run this test though and it's not needed
access to external networks to run so I don't see any fundamental
reason it has to be disabled in the Debian build environment.

It's possible the lack of a plugin is then causing the library to
fall back to another access method, which is what's being seen here.

James

--
James Bonfield (jkb@sanger.ac.uk)
The Sanger Institute, Hinxton, Cambs, CB10 1SA

--
 The Wellcome Sanger Institute is operated by Genome Research